THIS SALTY AND SMOKEY GRILLED SALMON IS TAKEN TO THE NEXT LEVEL WITH A GENEROUS DOLLOP OF FRESH LEMON CREME FRAICHE DRESSING.
THIS CHRISTMAS, WE SERVED THIS SALMON AS A LIGHT BRUNCH BEFORE OUR MAIN MEAL. EVERYONE LOVED THE MELTINGLY SOFT SALMON, FLAKED OVER TOASTED BAGELS, AND TOPPED WITH THE ZESTY DRESSING, SLIVERS OF RED ONION, CAPERS AND A BIG SQUEEZE OF FRESH LEMON JUICE.
WE ALSO FREQUENTLY ENJOY THIS DISH AS A LIGHT WEEKNIGHT DINNER DURING SUMMER.
- 2 x 200g salmon fillets
- 2 tbsp Barbecue Mafia Enforcer Rub
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
- 4 bagels
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- Capers, drained
- Chives, finely chopped
- Pin bone salmon fillets and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Dust the salmon in Barbecue Mafia Enforcer Rub and sprinkle with lemon zest.
- Set up grill for 2-zone cooking and preheat to a medium temp.
- While the grill heats, mix creme fraiche, lemon juice, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl, and set aside.
- Place salmon fillets on a grilling plank, and place over direct heat for approximately 1-2 minutes, or until wood is consistently smoking.
- Once smoking well, shift the plank to the indirect side of your grill, lower lid and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Aim for an internal temp of 63*C, and if not reached after 5 minutes, continue to cook, checking temp every few minutes.
- While salmon is smoking, toast bagels in your oven, or on the grill until golden brown.
- Remove salmon from grill, garnish with chopped chives. and flake on to toasted bagels, topped with a generous blob of creme fraiche dressing and sprinkled with red onion, capers and a good squeeze of lemon juice. Enjoy!