Burger purists would try and tell you a patty should only contain meat, whereas we believe it's the patty that should be packed full of as much flavour as possible.
These patties are chock full of herbs, caramelised onions, smoked cheese and bacon, with our favourite Barbecue Mafia steakout added to amplify the flavours!
- 1kg good quality minced beef
- 1 cup smoked cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped herbs - try:
- 2 slices free-range bacon, finely diced
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs (more/less as needed)
- 1 egg (more as needed)
- 1 tbsp Barbecue Mafia Steakout rub
- Olive oil
Method - Patties
- Put a frying pan over low-medium heat, add splash of olive oil and the diced onion. Cook gently, stirring frequently, until onions are soft and sweet. Set aside to cool.
- Add mince, onions, grated cheese, herbs, finely diced bacon, garlic, egg and Mafia Steakout to a large bowl with half the bread crumbs and mix together with your hands. If the mixture is too wet, or not holding together, gradually add remaining bread crumbs until the mixture just holds its shape. If its too dry and breaking apart then add another half of an egg.
- Tip the mixture on to a bench or board and form in to 6-8 patties, depending on desired size (Note: the mix can be cut to any size/quantity you prefer but 8 tends to be a good size).
- Refrigerate patties for around 2 hours, or wrap and freeze if for future use.
Note: We tend to make these in bulk and freeze some for quick weeknight ‘takeaways’
Method – Cooking
- Setup grill for 2-zone cooking and preheat to a medium/ high heat.
- Give patties a light sprinkle of olive oil then dust in Barbecue Mafia Steakout.
- Cook patties on indirect side of the grill until 70*C internal temperature.
- Sear over direct heat for 2 minutes, or until you form a good dark crust.
- Serve in either fresh or toasted buns with your favourite burger ingredients. We change our fillings regularly, but one of our favourite combos (featured in this shot) is:
- 2 slices of smoked cheese
- Picked red onion slices
- Crispy bacon rashers
- Sliced gherkin
- Fancy lettuce
- Mayonnaise, bourbon BBQ bacon jam and Jess Pryles Barbecue Sauce